- 2 packages (16 oz) Vanilla CANDIQUIK® Candy Coating
- Yellow food coloring (oil or powder based only)
- 1 box yellow cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
- 1/2 of (16 oz) container vanilla frosting
- Chocolate jimmies (sprinkles)
- Cake writing icing (black)
- 40 lollipop sticks
- Styrofoam block (to set cake pops in while drying)
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on box.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl. Add frosting and mix thoroughly (it may be easier to use fingers to mix together).
- Chill for approximately 2 hours in the refrigerator (you can speed this up by placing in the freezer).
- Prepare the wings ahead of time by melting the Vanilla CANDIQUIK® Candy Coating in Melt and Make Microwaveable Tray™ according to directions on package. With a teaspoon, carefully spoon small circular drops of the coating onto wax paper. Make two “wings” for each cake pop.
- Next, roll cake mixture into 1” sized ovals; place on wax paper covered baking sheet.
- Press each cake ball onto a lollipop stick.
- Re-melt CANDIQUIK® until smooth and then add yellow food coloring (oil or powder based only) until you get desired color.
- Dip cake pops in melted CANDIQUIK®, coating completely. Let excess CANDIQUIK® drip off and place in Styrofoam block to dry. Before dry, carefully attach two brown jimmies on the front of the cake pop for the antennas.
- Once dry, use a black cake icing writer to pipe on the stripes. Cut a straight edge on each wing (so it pushes flat against the cake pop), dip the flat edge of the wings into the CANDIQUIK®, then carefully attached it to the cake pop, holding the wings in place until the coating sets.
- Draw on a cute face with the cake icing writer.
TIP: If cake pops become too soft or are not holding their shape while dipping, place back in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.